Old Boys Upcoming Events and News
Ned's Enduro Ben Buckler to Boot Swim
In 2017, Quinn House student Ned Wieland (Class of 2019) became the youngest male to swim the English Channel, in a time of 9 hours and 45 minutes. Apart from the huge physical feat, Ned raised a significant amount of money for R U OK? Day.
On Sunday, 14 November, Ned will attempt to break the number of laps swam across Bondi. The current record stands at 60 laps. He is hoping to swim 62 laps equating to around 48km in the water.
Every year I set the goal of a big swim challenge.
Due to COVID-19 and the recent lockdown, I have set this year’s challenge in my own ‘backyard’, Bondi Beach.
The Ben Buckler to The Boot Enduro swim is my attempt to break the current record of 60 laps swimming of Bondi.
Set up as an 800m line from North Bondi to South Bondi will count as one lap.
My aim is 62 laps, maybe more!!
I have always used my big swims as Fundraisers for RU OK?
The experience of losing one of my swimming mentors when I was young, drives me to swim as far and as long as I need and can.
My swims are done to raise as much awareness in my community for suicide prevention; nothing hurts more than losing someone close to you.
I have decided to fundraise for RU OK? to help spread their message and help prevent suicide.
I would love people to join me in this adventure.
With the support of North Bondi Surf Club these are the guidelines:
- On the day there will be times allocated from 7am to 3pm (1hr max. – how many laps can you swim?).
- There will be a limited number of swimmers allowed on the course at one time (max. 20).
- If you wish to swim – there will be a minimum donation of $50.
- This donation will include a commemorative swim cap and face mask that can be picked up at registration check-in (North Bondi Boat Ramp) on the day.
- For Example: [ John Smith donates $100 – 8am to 9am]
- I will be swimming for 10hrs + so there will be plenty of time slots available – all day!!
Please note: all swimmers must be double vaxxed to participate, as the date is before 1 December (minimum age.15 years)
Good Luck Ned!
Class Reunions in 2021
Class of 2016 – 5 Year Reunion
Saturday, 27 November
Clovelly Hotel @ 5pm
Class of 1956 – Annual Christmas Lunch
Wednesday, 8 December
Royal Automobile Club
Macquarie Street, Circular Quay
Contact: Paul Mathieson | 0410294275 | email@example.com
Class of 1951
Seeking expressions of interest and availability for a reunion later this year.
Please contact Terry O’Malley
Stay in the Loop and Get Involved
We encourage all Waverley College alumni to stay in touch by providing us with their current contact details and letting us know of any upcoming events so we can help promote and support them!
There are many avenues for connecting with our Waverley community, including:
- Volunteer to be a mentor, speaker or workshop facilitator to enhance and broaden our current students’ experience.
- Submit news, notices or stories to be published in the Wavelength magazine
- Organise a reunion or tour at the campus
To get in touch or for more information please contact Venettia Miller | firstname.lastname@example.org | 9369 0773