From Timor-Leste Immersion Coordinator, Catherine O’Sullivan
Expressions of interest due Monday 19 February 2018
In 2018 a number of students in Years 10 and 11 will have the opportunity to undertake an immersion experience in Timor-Leste.
The students will spend time interacting with the young people of Timor-Leste, building friendships, participating in community-support tasks and learning about subsistence economies. Students will also develop an understanding of Timor-Leste’s recent past through visits to places of historical significance.
Immersion is a different type of experience. It is people from different backgrounds walking beside each other, sharing a journey and gaining understanding.
Core elements of an immersion expedition
- Authentic experience and insight into a different culture.
- Encounter with the youth of these communities in a true spirit of Christian solidarity.
- The social, pastoral and sacramental work of the Church in education, health and training.
- Briefings with key personnel who deliver programs and services to gain insights into the many issues facing communities.
- Research into the geo-political history of the host country.
- Opportunities to pause, reflect, analyse, discuss and journal on various experiences.
Sunday 15 July to Thursday 26 July
This involves the last week of the mid-year holidays and the first week of Term 3. You will need to consider carefully what other commitments you may have at this time.
We anticipate that the cost will be approx. $4,000 per participant.
This cost includes;
- accommodation in Darwin and Timor-Leste
- transport & Fuel (hiring troop carriers and drivers in Timor–Leste)
- all meals in Timor-Leste
- local support staff (translators/cooks).
How to submit an Expression of Interest
Q1. Can you describe yourself and your special interests?
Q2. Why are you interested in participating in the Timor-Leste experience and what do you hope to achieve?
Q3. Travel in a developing nation such as Timor-Leste can have its challenges…What personal qualities do you think you have that suit an experience like this?
Q4. How will you share your insights and learning with the Waverley College community on your return?
The deadline for expressions of interest is Monday 19 February 2018.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to talk to Ms O’Sullivan, Mr Thompson or Ms Downey