2021 Inaugural Piano Competition a Terrific Success!
A most appreciative audience of staff, parents and family members were treated to an afternoon of well-prepared and ably performed piano pieces at the Inaugural Waverley College Piano Competition on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021. In a heartening display of proficiency, students submitted themselves before adjudicator, Mr Evan Streater, who skilfully juggled critical listening, report writing, and then determination of places, as well as offering valuable and detailed remarks at the conclusion when prizes were awarded.
The standard of playing and general behaviour of the students throughout was exceedingly commendable, and ultimately made judging take a little longer due to the overall proximity of points distribution among entrants. We congratulate all contestants for a fine presentation of their work and feel encouraged by the standard of performance, with the success of this event likely establishing it as an annual fixture in the Music Department’s calendar.
Sincere thanks must be offered to Mr Evan Streater for his expertise in adjudicating; Head of Department Mr Chris Balkizas for approving and strategising the concept; PAC Coordinator Ms Keiran Kossenberg for her unwearied administrative assistance; faculty member Ms Jaz Dolso for her interest and work behind the camera; and for their attendance and obvious keen support, Mr Chris Blenkinsopp, Ms Michelle Rollins and Mr Thomas Mitton. Year 8 student Thomas Jackson-Whitlock is also to be recognised for his effort in very competently compèring proceedings.
Division 1 Results
- 1st – Leo Jreige (Year 8)
- 2nd – Campbell Porteus (Year 9)
- 3rd – Thomas Madden (Year 7)
- Highly Commended – Oliver Teh Howell (Year 7) and Jock Edwards (Year 9)
Division 2 Results
- 1st – Evan Service (Year 6)
- 2nd – Robbie Johnson (Year 6)
- 3rd – Danny Johnson (Year 8)
- Highly Commended – Mark Rede (Year 8) and Thomas Jackson-Whitlock (Year 8)
Division 3 Results
- 1st – Lieme Chan (Year 8) – also overall winner of Special Prize
- 2nd – Tomas Crosson (Year 8)
- 3rd – Saem Goffe (Year 12)
BRAVO to all performers, and long may you admire the wonders of the piano and its repertoire!
Mr Chris Balkizas
Head of Music