The War Memorial Chapel and Hall turns 60 in 2016. Built as a memorial to the men of Waverley College who lost their lives in both World Wars, it was opened on 6 October 1956 by Bishop Carroll at a function where, ‘every vantage point in the grounds was packed,’ according to the yearbook. The opening ceremony included Old Boy representatives of all three of the armed forces: Major General J A Chapman CB, DSO and Bar, OBE; Surgeon Captain JM Flattery and Flight Lieutenant R Marr.
An OBU initiative
Construction of the Chapel was the result of a resolution taken at a meeting of the Old Boys’ Union on 13 February 1950. The then President, Mr Max Coleman, was described as, ‘the moving spirit behind the venture, ‘ although sadly he did not live to see the Chapel open. Fundraising began that very year with an annual target of £5000. The Parents’ & Friends’ Association was very involved in fundraising, committing all proceeds from the ball and annual fetes throughout the early 1950s. In 1953 Hennessy, Hennessy and Co designed the chapel and hall, and a tender was issued for construction at a cost of £49,890. The foundation stone was laid on 13 March 1955.