We are pleased to offer a series of workshops designed to enhance English and Writing skills as Year 12 students work toward the HSC.
Details of the workshops are as follows:
Workshop 1 – Interpreting Marking Criteria in English
Facilitator: Ms Helen Barrie – Head of Academic Enrichment
This workshop examines the precise elements that support a HSC marker’s decision to determine which band your essay sits in. By matching your essay with the specific criteria of each band, you will learn how to tighten and elevate your essay compositions to ensure they precisely convey your overarching thesis and establish a strong writer/reader relationship with the marker.
Students will be expected to bring along a sample of one of their English responses.
Workshop 2 – Effective Paragraph Writing
Facilitator: Ms Mary Ryan – Head of Literacy
Venue: K37 (Week A), K34 (Week B)
This workshop is relevant to all subjects which require the writing of long answer responses and extended responses. Focus will be on the following:
- Writing effective paragraphs for different purposes
- Formulating an organised, logical argument with evidence and analytic discussion of the evidence
- Maintaining an academic tone through nominalisation
- Effective sentence and paragraph structure
- Expansion and precision
Students will be expected to bring along a sample of their own work (long answer/ extended response) which has already been marked. This can be from any subject.
Please note the following:
- Each Workshop will be capped at 20 students
- You will need to register for each workshop
- Registration closes at lunchtime each Monday
- Workshops will be running concurrently so only choose one
- Workshops are conducted on Monday Period 6
- Check that you do not have an existing assessment task during that period.
|5A||Monday||22 May 2023||P6||K37 and K38|
|6B||Monday||29 May 2023||P6||K34 and K38|
|7A||Monday||5 June 2023||P6||K37 and K38|
|9A||Monday||19 June 2023||P6||K37 and K38|