From the Director of Co-curriculum, Stephen O’Donnell
As we come to the end of Term 3 I extend a huge thank you to the graduating Year 12 cohort for their service to the co-curricular program at the College. These students have left an amazing legacy and Waverley is a better place for having these young men as part of the fabric and history of the College. A huge thank you also goes to their parents, who have also been tremendous contributors over many years. I wish all of you the very best for the future.
Year 12 students played St Clare’s College in a very entertaining netball match on Monday with Waverley winning their fourth ‘premiership’ for the year. However, being the gentlemen they are, St Clare’s was presented with the trophy. The prefects later took to the court in a fierce game of dodgeball with staff.
For our students in Years 7 to 11 we commence our 2017-18 Summer Co-curricular Program in Term 4. The training schedule is now available on the website.
Well done to our athletes, coaches and Convenor of Track and Field, Ms Kaitlyn Downey, for their efforts at CAS Athletics last week. Some illness, injuries and disqualifications meant we were below our best, but all athletes strived hard and there were standout performances in a range of events.
The major awards for athletics were presented last week. The main award – the Morris Curotta Award – was presented to Jack Hardwicke-Owen. This award is for the standout athlete and is named after dual Olympian and old boy Morris Curotta. Morris was once dubbed ‘the fastest white man in the world’ and his contribution, along with that of his late brother Ivan, to athletics at Waverley College means that this is a very prestigious award.
The full list of the Waverley College Track and Field award winners follows:
- College Champion – Dane Towns
- Champion Runner-up – James Kambas
- CAS Best Performance – Dane Towns, Riley Vidulich
- Best Team Man – Ronan Schocher, Jared Garwood
- College Champion – Christian Smirnotis
- Champion Runner-up – Louis Liong
- CAS Best Performance – Remy Crompton-Lam
- Best Team Man – Clement Halaholo
- College Champion – Alex Talbot
- Champion Runner-up – Ronan Braham
- CAS Best Performance – Alex Talbot
- Best Team Man – Jack Hillary
- College Champion – Theodore Liong
- Champion Runner-up – James Luland
- CAS Best Performance – Charles McGrath
- Best Team Man – Sean Kearns
- College Champion – Jack Hardwicke-Owen
- Champion Runner-up – Daniel Brown
- CAS Best Performance – Jack Hardwicke-Owen
- Best Team Man – Michael Browning
- College Champion – Declan Stupak-Horgan
- Champion Runner-up – Zachary Conacher-Smith
- CAS Best Performance – Jonathon Schacht
- Best Team Man – Tyler von der Heyden
- Morris Curotta Cup CAS Most Outstanding Athlete – Jack Hardwicke-Owen
- Gary Judd Cup Best Team Man – Joel Ellis
- Doug Ricketson Cup Most Improved Athlete – Barnaby Bickmore-Hutt
- Jeremy Roff Award Best Middle Distance Athlete – Kurt Kress
- Br Lewis Award Best Hurdler – Dylan Quirk
Enjoy a well-earned break and all the best for the HSC to our Year 12 students.