From the Head of College, Graham Leddie
I have written to members of the Waverley College community recently seeking your support with our annual giving program. The future of Waverley College is in your hands. Over the last 115 years Waverley College has been shaped by the generosity of the school community. People like you, who value our school, have helped to build wonderful facilities, establish scholarships and create opportunities for generations of boys to shine. Now, as we look to write the next chapter in the proud history of Waverley College, your support is more important than ever. With the end of financial year approaching, and tax deductions available for donations over $2, now is the perfect time to offer your financial support. To make a donation, simply donate online at giving.waverley.nsw.edu.au.
At Waverley College we are lucky to have a community invested in the growth and expansion of the school. I would like to thank you for your ongoing support and express my thanks to those of you who have already made a donation.
Director of Waterford
The recruitment process for the Director of Waterford is now completed and the successful candidate will be announced jointly with another College tomorrow. On behalf of the College I would like to thank Mr Tony Banboukjian for his leadership, presence, work ethic and care over the last 10 years. Tony will return from long service leave in Term 3 as Director of Waterford which will ensure a smooth transition with the successful candidate who will begin in Term 4, 2018. There will be many opportunities to thank and acknowledge the fine work of Tony during Term 3.
Blue and Gold Ball Donation and Sponsorship Acknowledgements
We are delighted to be able to acknowledge a number of significant sponsors that have come on board to support our boys via the Blue and Gold Ball:
- McGrath Estate Agents have become our major sponsor for the Ball and we are thrilled to announce that they are providing a commission free home sale for a property up to the value of $5m, to be managed by outstanding real estate professional and Waverley Old Boy, Adrian Bo. Over the last 25 years, McGrath has delivered more record sales than any other realty business in Australia. This is a fantastic opportunity for Waverley families. If you are thinking of selling in the next 18 months or know someone who is, please keep in mind this great opportunity to support the school. Adrian will also be our live auctioneer on the night and our warm thanks go to him for his support.
- A big thank you to Waverley College dad, Kim Moloney of Hotel Bondi who is supporting the Ball as a Platinum Sponsor. In addition, he is donating a fabulous accommodation prize of two nights in an Ocean View Room, complete with dinner at Icebergs. Hotel Bondi is a boutique hotel situated in the heart of Bondi Beach. Established in 1919, it is one of Sydney’s most charming heritage hotels.
- David Mastroianni of MyOrtho in Randwick has donated a full course of orthodontic treatment up to the value of $8,789. David has many clients from Waverley College and we are delighted to be offering his prize as an auction item on the night.
- Core Mortgage Brokers have taken a Gold Sponsorship of the event and we thank Waverley parents Peter and Lisa Wotherspoon for their ongoing and unstinting support of the college and our students.
- Thank you to John and Sandra Higgins of MyPlace Estate Agents, who have donated a fabulous two hour Trolley’d Cocktail Experience at your next event for up to 40 guests, valued at $4,500. Trolley’d were a feature at last year’s ball with cocktails that feature foraged native Australian and organic produce which is sourced locally.
- The McClean Family have donated an amazing 10 day holiday for up to four persons at Infinity Resorts, Koh Samui, valued at up to $4,000. This is the second year that they have contributed this great prize, which will be auctioned with airfares on the night.
- Parents, Derek and Anneke Zilich have donated a Brand Identity Package from MedalTally their brand, packaging and graphic design agency, valued at $3,000. This exciting prize includes a half day workshop on brand strategy, brand logo design, style guide and final art.
- BMW Sydney have come on board as Silver Sponsors of the ball and we are proud to be associated with their brand for the first time in 2018. BMW Sydney is the largest and only factory-owned BMW dealership in New South Wales. An award winning BMW dealership, they have twice been awarded the highest possible honour – National BMW Dealer Trophy.
- Jeweller Robbie Chapman of Robbie Chapman Jewellery has donated a stunning pair of one-off, bespoke earrings valued at $2000. Robbie also designs and supplies our school ring and this is his second year as a supporter of the Ball.
- Parent, Liane Gorman of Servcorp Barangaroo has donated a 6 month contract for a Co-working Hot Desk Space at Barangaroo Tower One valued at $2,700.
- Waverley parent, Ania Smith of BML Partners, Accountants and Business Advisors has donated a Financial Health Check package valued at $2,000.
- We’d like to thank Old Boy, Jeffrey Gormley as well as Mark and Leeann Smith for kindly donating a $1500 Smeg Appliance package consisting of a jug, mixer, toaster and coffee machine from the 50’s vintage red collection.
- NG Farah Estate Agents are supporting the Ball by taking a Bronze Sponsorship for the second year. We very much appreciate their ongoing support.
- A party package which includes a private area and $1,000 bar tab at The Royal Oak Hotel Double Bay has been donated by Old Boy, Peter Tate. Many thanks to Peter for his ongoing support for the school.
These and a great many more prizes have been assembled for the live and silent auctions and other fundraising activities for the ball. Stay tuned for a full list of prizes coming soon – and we’ll let you know when our raffle and online auctions are live so that you can get involved.
School Choice Survey Reminder
As a parent or carer of a student at Waverley College, Edmund Rice Education Australia is interested to know the reason you chose the College for your son.
This survey is part of a wider study of school choice currently underway across Edmund Rice Education Schools Australia (EREA). Your feedback will help EREA and the college to plan for the future. Your comments are important. Every parent has been sent an email with a link to the survey. Please take your time to answer the questions thoughtfully. It should only take you approximately 5 minutes to complete.
Your comments are anonymous and collected by an external consultant – no individual respondent will be identified by the survey. Once all member schools have completed the survey we look forward to sharing the results with you.
Music Tour – Austria and Italy
We wish all of our musicians and staff a safe and enjoyable tour to Europe. The boys will be visiting and performing in Vienna, Salzburg, St. Gilgen, Sopron (Hungary), Venice, Padua and Milan. The tour group will finish School on the Thursday 28th June at the end of period 3 to allow for sufficient preparation time. I would like to congratulate the boys and staff on all of the hard work they have put into preparing for the tour over the last 12 months to ensure its success. Well done to the Choir, Jazz Ensemble, Guitar Ensemble and Concert Bands.
Congratulations to the following boys
Jett Wanda (Y7), Leon Bakis (Y8), Tom Martin (Y8), Klayton Thorn (Y9), Finn Filipek (Y10), Luca Martin (Y12), Hugo Carr (Y12) who represented CAS in Touch Football at the NSWCIS Championships.
Luca Martin (Y12) and Klayton Thorn (Y9) have been selected for the NSWCIS Touch football selection
Jack Hardwicke-Owen (Y12) & Mario Rebollo (Y10) – has been chosen to play for the NSWCIS Football team
Ned Wieland (Y11 ) who is backing up after his successful English Channel swim last year and raising of over $40k for RUOK. Ned completed the Catalina Channel Swim between Catalina Island and Long Beach California on 19 June, swimming the 38km in 9 hours and 8 minutes. Ned is now heading towards the Manhattan 20 bridges swim around Manhattan Island and New York on 30 June. We wish him well as he tackles some of the world’s hardest long distance swims.
Will Cooley (Y10) on being officially selected in the Australian Youth Olympic Sailing Team to go to Buenos Aires later this year.
Dan Andrews (Y12) – refereeing the U14 State Rugby Championships.
Kiva Gwynne (Y12) , Charles McGrath (Y12), Jonathan Schacht (Y12) and Kurt Kress
(Y9) who have all qualified for the NSW Cross Country Championships.
Finn McClean (Y10) – on taking a risk and studying abroad at Kearnsey College in South Africa for this term on exchange. We look forward to hosting Grant Craze from Kearnsey College for Term 3.