The Start of the Year for Co-Curricular
Welcome back to all students and families and a very warm welcome to all new students. The year has started very well and has also been very busy with Year 7 trials, CAS basketball blitz, Cricket as well as the first rounds of water polo.
We had many staff and boys complete a lot of training over the extended break and I want to make special mention of the following:
- Our fantastic Athletics coaches and students lead by Mr Jeremy Roff for all of their hard work
- Our large group of senior Rugby players and Coaches for all of their dedication and commitments
- Our Swim Squad lead by Mr Nick Nezval for their holiday swim session
- Our senior Basketball players and coaches for their extra holiday work
I also want to highlight the great work by our new Commanding officer of the Waverley College Cadet Unit, Ms Julie-Ann de Kantzow who was ably supported by Mr Tony Evans and Mr Garth Aird for the training in the holidays. This was especially around up-skilling the St Catherine’s students joining the unit at the start of this year. This is certainly an exciting time and I also wish the WCCU the very best for the year and the Reveille Dinner this Friday. Special mention also to Mr Lachlan Youll and Mr Andrew Yanitsas from St Catherine’s for their great work and leadership in instigating this positive change.
We have a large number of boys travelling up the coast over the next couple of weeks for State Oz-Tag and Touch Football and I wish them much success and safe travels.
I want to congratulate Ricardo Zanapalis for competing at the Regionals Athletics Competition at Barden Ridge and coming 3rd in the triple jump (new PB 11:60m) and 1st in the Long jump (new PB 5:82m). Ricardo will go through to the state championships for long jump in early March.
I am sure we will be hearing of many more successes over the next few weeks. Thank you to all of those parents that have also followed the correct leave requests procedures. Any other leave requests need to be in writing before any leave is granted with a maximum of two permitted exemptions per year.
The Term 1 Summer season is now underway with all training and a full round of fixtures this weekend. With some poor weather forecast it is a good opportunity to remind the Waverley community of notification procedures:
Wet Weather number (after 7am on Saturdays) – Tel: 02 8250 3780
SkoolBag – Push notifications
Team App – Waverley College
Any early changes will also be changed on the fixtures which can be located on the College website.
We also have some key dates this term for co-curricular events:
- Friday, 14 Feb | CAS Swimming and Diving Invitational
- Friday, 14 Feb | Last day of change for winter co-curricular
- Friday, 6 March | House Swimming Carnival at Des Renford Leisure Centre
- Saturday, 7 March | Last round of Summer sport
- Thursday, 12 March | CAS Swimming and Diving Championships at SOPAC (compulsory attendance for Years 8 and 11)
- Friday, 13 March | Cricket, Water Polo and Swimming Presentation Nights
- Saturday, 14 March | Basketball presentation Night
- Saturday, 14 March | Sport free weekend and winter coaches induction
- Monday, 16 March | Commencement of Winter season
- Saturday, 21 March | Internal trials and CAS Football Blitz
- Saturday, 28 March | Internal Winter trials
- Saturday, 4 April | Football and Rugby versus Riverview
Just a reminder that the training schedules and fixtures will be available on the College website as they become available.
Best wishes for the start of the year!