From the Head of College, Graham Leddie
I am pleased to share with you news of the noteworthy performance of the Year 12 Class of 2017 in the HSC. Across a range of subjects, our students have achieved admirable results that are testament to the commitment of the Class of 2017: They embraced the opportunities afforded to them in the classroom and with the support of their dedicated teachers, have achieved great results.
They will be remembered for working hard and gaining significant class and individual achievements, setting a high standard for our future HSC students.
Highlights from the Class of 2017
- 97 students were named on the HSC Honour Roll (Distinguished Achievers), which includes students who achieved Band 6 in one or more subjects
- Waverley had two boys listed among NSW’s top achievers in individual subjects
- Two students made the 2017 HSC All-Round Achievers list
- Eight students were nominated or selected to be part of HSC Showcases for their major works or performances
- Stephen Croft achieved an ATAR above 98.50
- Year 11 accelerated student, Oliver Read achieved 100% in the 2 Unit Mathematics HSC Examination
- 52% of students achieved a Band 5 or 6.
Two Waverley College students were named among the top performers in NSW in individual subjects. Congratulations to:
- Oliver Read of Year 11 (Accelerated) who achieved 16th in the State for Mathematics
- Daniel Harasta who placed 2nd in the State for Hungarian Continuers.
Two Waverley College students made the All-Round Achievement lists by receiving a result in the highest band (Band 6 or E4) in 10 or more units of study, an impressive achievement. Congratulations to:
- Stephen Croft
- Felix Kafka.
HSC Showcase Nominations
Every year students from across NSW are nominated and selected to be part of a series of HSC showcases and exhibitions.
- Shortlisted for the Design and Technology Shape Exhibition – John Soden
- Nominated for OnSTAGE for his drama individual performance – Hal Cumpston
- Nominated for OnSTAGE for their group drama performance – Patrick Cocks, Julian Imvriotis, Will Johnston and Ewan Wall
- Nominated for ARTEXPRESS – Adam Hutchinson
- Selected for ARTEXPRESS – Dylan Quirk.
Our Vocational and Educational Training (VET) boys have performed very well, achieving Certificate II and III qualifications in Entertainment, Hospitality and Construction and returning results in their HSC examinations above the State average.
Students gained Distinguished Achiever places in 23 subjects including:
- Studies of Religion I – 12
- Studies of Religion II – 11
- Mathematics General – 9
- Business Studies – 8
- PDHPE – 8
- Mathematics (2 Unit) – 7
- Advanced English – 6
Warm congratulations to every student of the Class of 2017.
We will have an opportunity to acknowledge our high achievers and HSC showcase nominations at the High Achievers’ Assembly in the new year.
Early in 2018, the Director of Learning and Teaching together with Heads of Department and their teams, will undertake more detailed analysis of the HSC results. The subsequent report will inform the teaching of all courses in 2018.