As lockdown continues, I would like to encourage our cadets to stay connected and keep checking into their Cadet activities on Friday afternoons. The Training Program has been adapted for the current situation and, each week, there will be Zoom Meetings and activities, lessons and videos posted to the respective Google Classrooms, so cadets can start learning the skills they need for our return.
As part of the Cadet Unit, all members are asked to abide by a Code of Conduct, which our new recruits acknowledged in last week’s activity. This code speaks to the following parameters and is something to particularly keep in mind in the current climate:
- Honesty – Online education requires a new level of trust and maturity. Be honest with yourselves and your teachers in this space;
- Integrity – Show integrity by being true to yourselves, upholding strong moral principles. Take responsibility for your learning. Keep unified and keep connected;
- Diligence – Persistent work and effort will keep you on top of things, giving you a sense of control;
- Due Care and Safety – Take care of yourselves, take care of your families, take care of your community;
- Respect – For yourselves, for your family, for your teachers, for your school and for the community. Treat others as you would want to be treated, especially in these difficult times;
- Courtesy – The online environment can be difficult to negotiate. Be kind to one another.
As a youth development organisation, Cadets teaches our young people tenacity, fortitude, strength of character, confidence and service. Now, more than ever, we need to harness these skills.
MAJ(AAC) Julie-Ann de Kantzow
Commanding Officer – WCCU