On Friday, 19 August, the Waverley College Rugby community gathered at Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club to celebrate the 2022 season. The evening was a huge success and you could certainly feel plenty of positivity and spirit at the venue.
We celebrated the outstanding player performances (Senior and Junior School), those undefeated teams (Prep 1sts, 13As, 13Bs, 15As and 16As), and also gave a special farewell to our departing Year 12 players.
We thank Denis Hickey and the Rugby Supporters’ Club for their efforts in organising a great night. We also thank Ms Jade Sparks (Convenor of Junior School Rugby), Mr Thomas Olds (Prep 1st Coach), Mr Steve O’Donnell (Director of Co-Curricular) and Mr Paul Cornish (1st XV Coach), who all spoke superbly on the night.
A highlight on the night was watching members of our 1st XV presenting our junior students and teams – including the undefeated Prep 1st XV team – with their awards on the night. I know the young Waverlians were thrilled to meet and be presented by the Double V.
On behalf of the Waverley College Rugby Community, I would like to thank the following people who contributed so much in the 2022 season:
- To College Principal, Mr Leddie for his leadership and support of Rugby at Waverley College.
- To the College Leadership Team including, Mr Brennan and Ms Walsh (4th XV Coach) and of course, Mr Stephen O’Donnell (13As Coach), who dedicates so much time and energy into all sports and activities at Waverley.
- To Assistant Director of Co-Curricular, Mr Stephen Wilmot, who was a wonderful support each Saturday at Queens Park.
- To the Senior Coaching staff including Mr Paul Cornish, Mr Scott Coleman, Mr Sean Picone, Mr JP Boumelhem, Mr Lachlan Drew-Morris and Mr Jeremy Roff, for their dedication to mentoring our players over such a long period of time (from November 2021).
- To all the coaching staff, who gave so much energy into the season which created the many success stories.
- To all the referees, led by Mr Richard Chen. We would not be able to enjoy our rugby without our wonderful officials.
- To the Rugby Supporters’ Club who were led by Denis Hickey and Megan Hickey and all those parents who gave their time to support Waverley Rugby with the various duties across the season. Special mention also to Treasurer Bradley Anstis and Claire Anstis, Michelle Sullivan and John Andrews and Maureen Andrews. The Andrews Family were present at 6:30am each home game, to set up our famous BBQ!
- To the Waverley College Maintenance team for ensuring that Queens Park was ready to go for training, as well as each match day.
- To all Waverley Rugby Parents for supporting rugby and for getting your boys to the matches at various locations across Sydney.
- To all Waverley Rugby Players who represented the College with a great deal of pride and passion. I would particularly like to highlight the efforts of all the senior players who showed so much grit and determination through a challenging year. You have led the rugby program so well and have inspired the next generation of Waverley College students. We are very proud of you!
I hope all members of the community enjoyed the 2022 season, and I look forward to seeing you on the playing fields in 2023!
Waverley to Win!
Mr John McCoy
Convenor of Rugby