From the Convenor of Rugby, John McCoy
Rugby Wrap Up
The 2018 season will go down as another very pleasing year for the Blue and Gold jersey of Waverley College Rugby! It was a season which held a trial period where we met some old rivals in St Augustine’s and Scots, we went into camp at Narrabeen, we enjoyed the charm of our visitors from Wales, felt the heartbreak of coming so close to CAS glory against Barker. It was also a year where we showed how, as a school, we continue to play a great style of rugby with 10 CAS Premiership titles.
The season highlight was without doubt watching the Waverley Rugby Community stand behind Hugo Kulscar as he led the 1st XV side out in the final game of the season. This gave Hugo, who has been facing some tough health battles, a moment he will never forget. A reminder of what makes rugby such a special game and what makes our Waverley Community such a pleasure to be involved in.
Waverley College fielded 23 sides in the 2018 rugby season. From the 81 CAS rugby matches Waverley College were involved with, as a school, we managed to win 67 games. A winning percentage of 83% – An outstanding result and an improvement on the 2017 season! Congratulations to all players and coaching staff on this tremendous result.
Presentation Night was held last Friday night for players and families in the 13s to Opens age groups. Over 400 people gathered to celebrate what was an enjoyable night at Eastern Suburbs Rugby Union Club.
It was an enjoyable occasion with a great deal of spirit in the room. Brother Murphy gave his reflection on the season, the Media Club shared a fantastic presentation including the season highlights, the Class of 2018 were farewelled and the wonderful player achievements were recognised. Referees, led by Mr Chen, were also acknowledged for their efforts through the season.
Further to player achievements, coaching staff were also celebrated for their commitment to Waverley Rugby. Mr Peter Frost was recognised for 50 years of service to Waverley College Rugby. Mr Frost had commenced his coaching career in 1969 when he coached the 14Cs. Over the years, Mr Frost has had many successes on the field taking his beloved 3rd XV to a series of premierships – including this year!
Mr Paul Cornish was also provided with the honour of having one of the major rugby awards named after him. The Paul Cornish Award for Contribution to Rugby was presented for the first time. Mr Cornish, who is a former Wallaby, is a much loved coach in the Waverley Rugby Community and has been over the last 16 years. Mr Cornish has dedicated a great deal of time to rugby and it was fitting that this award be named in his honour.
Mr Rino Tomasiello, President of the Supporters Club, gave a fantastic speech which included a donation to the Kulscar Family from the Rugby Supporters Club. On top of this, Mr Lachlan Kenny, one of our very kind parents, generously donated four tickets to the Bledisloe Cup to the Kulscar family. A beautiful part of the night.
I would like to sincerely thank all the support in setting up the night from the members of the Rugby Supporters Club committee (and their families) including Rino & Adela Tomasiello, John & Maureen Andrews, Terry & Tracey Murphy, Tania Nand, Denis Hickey and all those parents who helped on the night.
I would like to thank all those families and friends who donated items on the night, including Mr Anthony Eyles (Strand Cellars) who donated the wines for the Lucky Door Prizes. Your generosity is very much appreciated.
Farewell Year 12
On Friday Night we said our final farewell to those rugby players from the Class of 2018 who represented Waverley College. It will be very sad to see such a fine group of men leave Waverley. We thank these students and all their families for their contribution and support of Waverley College Rugby. Thanks must go to Corey Kallis who put together a very moving presentation on the night. We wish these young men all the best for their futures on and off the playing field. Good luck & God Bless!
Farewell & Thanks – Murphy Family & Tomasiello Family
It is with sadness that the community says farewell and thank you to the Murphy family and the Tomasiello family.
Tracey and Terry Murphy have been involved with Waverley College since back in 1997, when their eldest boy, Nicholas, entered Waterford. Over the years Tracey and Terry have made some priceless contributions to Waverley College and have assisted so well in generating such incredible spirit through the community. Always willing to support with fundraising activities within the Supporters Club, on the BBQ or Canteen as well as lending valuable advice on playing the game itself. We have been blessed to have such wonderful parents in the community over the last 23 years and thank them for everything they have given to Waverley College.
Rino, Adela and the Tomasiello family have all been heavily involved in Waverley Rugby over the last 8 years. This year Rino took over as President after serving as treasurer for a number of year. A passionate Old Boy, Rino was always mindful of keeping the Queens Park traditions alive – frequently reminding Mr O’Donnell to ensure the Waverley flag was flying high during home fixtures, and ensuring every visitors that came down to Queens Park was well and truly looked after by either himself or one of his very kind family members. It is not hard to see that family drives Rino – and this drive has helped continue to build the Waverley College family over the years. In the time that Rino and his buddy Darren Ellis have led the Supporters Club, there could be no arguments that the mission of these men has been far from making a profit, but rather making the community come closer and closer together. We will all miss the warm Saturday morning greetings, the offer of a coffee or “Café” and the non-stop banter as together we watch the sun come up over Queens Park for another big Saturday of rugby. Rino, Adela, Tomasiello family, thank you for everything you have given to the Waverley Rugby Community.
On behalf of the Waverley College Rugby Community I would like to thank the following people who have contributed so much to the 2018 season.
- To Head of College, Mr Leddie for his leadership and support of Rugby at Waverley College.
- To Executive Members, Mr Brennan, Mr Frost (3rd XV Coach – CAS Champions) and Mr O’Donnell (13As Coach).
- To Assistant Head of Sport, Miss Stephanie Floyd, who was a wonderful support each Saturday at Queens Park.
- To the 1st XV, 2nd XV and 16A Coaching staff including Mr Paul Cornish, Mr Scott Coleman, Mr Kyle Newbury, Mr John Boyd, Mr James Horrocks and Mr Shaun Foley. Preseason training for this season commenced 10 months ago and operated throughout the Summer Holidays. These men were present every step of the way. Mr Coleman and Mr Cornish are, without doubt, the best and most dedicated coaches any team could hope for. We wish Mr Coleman all the best as he approaches the birth of his first child in December!
- To all the coaching staff, who guided our boys through memorable victories and tight losses. Thank you.
- To all the referees, led by Mr Richard Chen. Thanks particularly to student referees: Stephen Davies, Oliver Read, Daniel Andrews, Luke Harris, Sam Jagoe-Fisher, Cooper Flynn, Liam Andrews and Conor Andrews. We would not be able to enjoy our rugby without our wonderful officials.
- To the Rugby Supporters Club including President Mr Rino Tomasiello, Mr Denis Hickey (Treasurer), Mrs Maureen Andrews (Secretary), Mr Terry Murphy & Mrs Tracey Murphy, Mrs Tania Nand, Mr John Andrews, Mr Paul McGuiggan, Mr Michael Jaeger, Mr Shaun Whiteman, Mr Pat Molloy and all those parents who gave their time to support the club.
- To Mrs Ceclia Molloy and Mrs Adela Tomasiello, who organised the 1st XV after match functions, and all the 1st XV & 2nd XV parents for their support of these important events. The food and hospitality was definitely best out of all the CAS/GPS/ISA schools.
- To Mrs Deb Johnson who developed the online roster for the BBQ and Canteen. This is a fantastic new initiative we will use in the years ahead.
- To Mrs Jennifer Divall, who helped create wonderfully engaging Saturday programs
- To Mr John Kara, who helped with the Presentation Night ticketing and set up.
- To Mr Lindsay Jordan, as well as the other contributors who provided some super snaps of the rugby season which can be found on the “Waverley Sport” Facebook page.
- To the Waverley College Maintenance team for ensuring that Queens Park was ready to go each Saturday – clean and plenty of gas bottles for the BBQ!
- To all Waverley Rugby Parents for supporting rugby and for getting your boys to the matches at various locations across Sydney!
- To all Waverley Rugby Players who represented the school with a great deal of pride and passion. I would particularly like to highlight the efforts of all the seniors who led the rugby program so well and have inspired the next generation of Waverley College students. We are very proud of you!
Sadly, the final whistle has blown for the 2018 season. I hope all members of the Waverley College community have enjoyed this special journey as much as I have. I look forward to seeing you in 2019, for what looks to be another exciting season of Waverley College Rugby.
Waverley to Win!