Dear Parents and Carers of Year 7 and Year 10 students,
NSW Health has been working with education authorities so that school vaccination can be offered as school-based learning returns.
In 2021, NSW Health is offering the following vaccines:
Human papillomavirus (HPV) 2 doses at least 6 months apart
Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (dTpa) 1 dose.
Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) 1 dose.
While the school vaccination program has been disrupted due to remote learning in some areas, vaccination clinics are being rescheduled as students return to school.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
NSW Health has implemented additional measures based on expert clinical advice to reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 transmission in school clinics, including:
- nurses vaccinated against COVID-19
- health screening of nurses before clinics
- pre-vaccination screening of students
- physical distancing restrictions at the clinic entrance and observation area
- ensuring the number of students and nurses at the clinic does not exceed the maximum space allowed
- enhanced hand hygiene and environmental cleaning of all surfaces.
What Parents/Carers Should Do
There is no need for parents/carers who have given consent for their child to receive vaccinations at school to take any action, except to:
- contact the school to withdraw consent for HPV, dTpa or MenACWY vaccination if any of these vaccines have been given at their child’s GP
- ensure that students with influenza-like symptoms do not attend school and are tested as soon as possible
- note that there is a minimum dosing interval of 7 days between any routine school vaccinations (HPV, dTpa and Meningococcal ACWY) and any dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
When Students Will be Vaccinated
Vaccinations will be offered to consented students as soon as possible as clinics are rescheduled at our College, noting that catch-up vaccination can be offered at our College at any time in 2021 or 2022 if necessary. Waverley College held its school-based vaccination program on 1 November, 2021.
You will be advised if your child cannot be vaccinated at College and recommended to arrange vaccination with your GP or another immunisation provider.
Ms Adele Cutbush