From Head of TAS, Garth Aird
In the Easter holidays in 2019 Waverley students in Years 10 to 12 will have the opportunity to travel to the USA as part of a Science and Mathematics (STEM) Tour.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) is everywhere and shapes our everyday experiences, meaning STEM education is vital and we need to encourage students to understand and embrace these core subject areas. Combining learning and fun is the perfect recipe for a hugely successful tour. Students will engage with all aspects of STEM in a 6-Day intensive Space Camp at the Space and Rocket Center. Combined with time at the home of NASA – Kennedy Space Center – and a full day at Universal Studios including related educational program, students will benefit enormously from the fun, engaging and varied environment throughout this tour.
This is a once in a lifetime experience for the students of Waverley College. They will be exposed to a whole new realm of learning which could in turn develop into an exciting and prosperous STEM based career, as well as creating those life long memories!
DAY 1: DEPART SYDNEY – ARRIVE HUNTSVILLE / TRANSFER TO SPACE CAMP
DAY 2: U.S. SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER: ADVANCED SPACE CAMP
DAY 3: U.S. SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER: ADVANCED SPACE CAMP
DAY 4: U.S. SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER: ADVANCED SPACE CAMP
DAY 5: U.S. SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER: ADVANCED SPACE CAMP
DAY 6: GRADUATE SPACE CAMP / TRANSFER TO ORLANDO
DAY 7: UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
DAY 8: KENNEDY SPACE CENTER
DAY 9: SERVICE/CHARITY WORK
DAY 10: DEPART ORLANDO
DAY 11: IN TRANSIT
DAY 12: ARRIVE SYDNEY
Advanced Space Academy – US Space and Rocket Centre
Students enjoy a challenging, space-life experience with scuba-based microgravity orientation, advanced missions and engineering training in Advanced Space Academy® – the highest level of astronaut initiation!
Advanced Space Academy is an adventure that enables high-school aged trainees to forge futures, make friends and explore careers. Trainees are immersed in science, technology, engineering and math education while focusing on college and career preparation. Extended-duration missions give trainees more teamwork experience to prepare for becoming the next generation of space leaders and explorers.
During the five-night program, trainees undergo hands-on drills, as well as learn about the mental and physical demands for astronauts, engineers and technologists. The neutral buoyancy of water provides the environment for microgravity exercises in the Underwater Astronaut Trainer, while the Multi-Axis Trainer and1/6th gravity chair further challenge balance and movement. Crew trainers guide students through simulated astronaut training using equipment adapted from NASA’s astronaut programme.
- Space Suit Theory and Design
- Space Physiology
- Scuba Space Walk Training
- Aeronautic Design
- Jet Aircraft Simulations
- Orbital Mechanics
- Aimed at students aged 15-18 (similar programs are available for ages 12-14 and 9-11)
- Train like an astronaut on the Multi-Axis Trainer and the 1/6 Gravity Chair
- Test individual abilities and team skills in extended duration missions
- Design and build customized rockets and heat shields in engineering challenges
- Test skills in our Challenge Course teambuilding elements and high ropes challenges
- Experience movies in Space Dome IMAX or in the National Geographic Theater
- Return International Flights
- Domestic flight between Huntsville – Orlando
- Accommodation in 3 star standard hotel – Students in triple share rooms, teachers in twin share rooms, all with en-suites
- Haka Educational Tours on-tour representative with group 24/7 (Orlando portion)
- Group transport via private vehicle with driver throughout
- Daily Continental Breakfast
- 4 x Evening Meals in local restaurants (Orlando portion)
- Advanced Space Academy 6-night package, including:
- 6-nights’ in-house accommodation at the US Space & Rocket Center
- Daily breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks (students)
- Space Camp suits (students)
- Daily transfers between accommodation & Space Camp (teachers)
- Final day Graduation Ceremony
- Full day visit to Kennedy Space Centre
- Banquet lunch with an astronaut at Kennedy Space Center
- 1 x Full day at Universal Studios with educational programme (ride design)
- Boggy Creek Airboats Everglades experience
- IFly Indoor Skydiving experience
- Full day volunteering at local community project in Orlando
- All Airport Departure Taxes
Expressions of interest
The cost of the tour will be between $5,000 and $6,000 per person depending on final numbers. We are currently calling for expressions of interest to participate in the tour. If your son would be interested in participating, please email Garth Aird at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. There will be an information night about the tour held next year.