In 1936 an enshrined statue of Our Lady of Succour was procured from France and presented to the school by J.J O’Brien on behalf of the Old Boys. Rev Father Piper OFM blessed the statue just prior to the May Procession. For some time it was situated on top of the “Merrowie” building on Birrell Street.
‘Merrowie’ had been purchased by the College from John Field in 1934 and used as a residence for the Brothers.
On the completion of the Centenary Building in 1975, the statue was moved to the centenary building rooftop – the highest point of the College – by helicopter.
The statue remains atop the College to this day as a reminder of the dedication to Our Lady of the founders of the College, as well as of Our Lady’s continued role in our school life.