Waverley College is looking forward to an exciting year ahead in co-curricular. This week, our Year 7 2023 cohort commenced their trials in sport and cultural activities, and made an excellent start.
Our broad program caters to a wide range of interests, and we encourage all students to get involved in as many activities as they can. The importance of staying physically active, socially engaged and the benefits to mental and emotional health, are critical parts of the development of youth.
We Have a New Co-curricular Activities Officer! Welcome Ms Brooke Kent
The Co-curricular Department is also lucky to have Ms Brooke Kent, our new Activities Officer, joining us in 2023. Brooke will be taking over the management of a number of administration and operational duties.
All students need to ensure that they are ready to start the year with all required attire and equipment for their chosen activities.
We also have lots of opportunities for parents/carers to get involved through the Parents’ Association and various Supporters’ Groups.
Holiday Training and Activities
We had a large number of students training and competing in various activities over the holidays. A huge thank you to the staff and coaches who gave up some time in the holidays, as well as the students and parents/carers for all of their efforts.
In particular, I want to note the 2nds Basketball who won the Newington tournament, as well as the 1st XI Cricket who successfully defeated St Patrick’s to win the Br. Berg – Br. Murphy Shield, in a very close contest. Well done especially to Jonathan McDonald in taking 6/17 off 10 overs.
We have a number of trials and fixtures this coming weekend, and all other activities commence from next Monday.
Just a reminder that this is how we communicate all co-curricular information:
- via the Waverley College app
- via the digital Nurrunga newsletter (delivered to your and your son’s email inbox every Friday afternoon)
- via the College website
We are aware that there are a number of events this term, such as Nippers carnivals, State Touch Football, State Oztag as well as others.
Leave requests need to be emailed to me, requesting leave with as much notice as possible. Students need to be organised and selective, as only two exemptions per year are generally approved.
Please also note that any student wishing to request a change to their winter activities, can do so from this week until the end of Week 3 of Term 1.
Important Term 1 Co-curricular Dates
- 31 January – 17 February – Winter Activity Change requests
- 13 – 15 February – Year 7 Camp at Somerset
- 3 March – House Swimming Carnival at DRLC (Years 7-12)
- 11 March – Final Round of Summer Activities
- 16 March – CAS Swimming & Diving Championships at SOPAC (compulsory attendance for Years 8 and 11)
- 18 March – Winter coaches induction (sport-free weekend)
- 20 March – Official commencement of the winter season
- 25 March – Internal winter trials
- 30 March – 3 April – Cadet AFX Camp at Holdsworthy
Best wishes to the whole College community for 2023.