CAS History 1929 – Present
The Committee of the Associated Schools of NSW (CAS) was formed in May 1929.
The Association arose out of a desire to formalise sporting contacts between a number of interested schools, namely Barker College, Knox Grammar School, St. Aloysius’ College, and Trinity Grammar School. Cranbrook School joined the Association in December 1929, and Waverley College became the sixth Associated School in 1943. Membership has remained stable since this time, although in the late 1990s the General Committee investigated the possibility of inviting additional schools to become members.
The General Committee has always governed the activities of the Association, with each school being represented by their Headmaster and one delegate from each school on Council. Whilst the General Committee initially ratified the work of the Sportsmasters’ Committee, there was also interest in subjects such as Cadets, Public Examinations, Acts of Parliament relating to Education and the war-time involvement of the Associated Schools in issues of National Security. The General Committee therefore became a forum for wider consultation between schools on educational issues. Such non-sporting issues later became the business of the Headmasters’ Conference of Australia (HMC – formed in 1931), although questions relating to the place of sport and games in the life of boys’ schools were also discussed at the HMC. It is significant to note that in Australia, sporting associations such as the CAS, GPS and APS of Victoria pre-dated formal contact between Headmasters.
The Athletics meeting on 19 October 1929 marked the official beginning of CAS competitions. This was followed by Rugby and Cricket in 1930 and Swimming in 1932. As the individual member schools have grown, and the diversity of their communities increased, other sports have been added to the CAS competition, including Tennis, Basketball, Association Football (Soccer), Volleyball, Cross Country and Waterpolo. The most recent sport to be added was AFL, with the Independent School Competition commencing in 2013. Chess and Debating competitions were also established in the early years of the Association.
Since 2001, the General Committee of the Associated Schools of NSW has deliberately broadened its range of interest beyond sport. The first ecumenical church service was held in 2002, along with the Art Show, which exhibiting works from the six member schools. A Music Festival was first organised in 2004, followed by a CAS Drama Festival in 2005. Leadership development activities for junior and senior leaders and the CAS Drill Competition are also regular fixtures on the Association’s calendar. Each meeting of the Committee focuses on one area of life and work of member schools, with academic department heads and pastoral leaders given the opportunity to join Headmasters at regular meetings. This fosters a spirit of collaboration between member schools, whilst also providing an opportunity to share programmes and innovative practices.
Celebrating 90 Years